Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Ever-Terrifying Job Hunt

So, I'm officially a college grad, right? Well, that means that I have absolutely no more daily responsibilities and I have the freedom to vedge on my parents' couch for the rest of my life or, you know, do whatever I set my mind to, or whatever, if I can find a job. Finding a job. Not as easy as it sounds. I mean, you don't just wake up one day and say, "I'm going on a job hunt!" You don't pack up your weaponry and gut-cleaning tools and head out for a day of career-shooting out on the range. No, sir. It's a long, drawn-out process that depends on the reliability of your own motivation.

MOTIVATION? WHAT IS THIS THING YOU SPEAK OF.

Motivation. The evasive, sneaky li'l son of a gun who always waited until the night before a paper was due to appear and crept away every time you got on a roll and then you ended up on, say, tumblr -- "oh just for a minute!" -- and WHERE HAS TIME GONE I'M LATE FOR CLASS. That motivation.

What with my part-time job taking 20-30 hours of my week and the summer camp I just finished eating up two weeks of my summer*, and every episode of LOST consuming at least 3 hours a day**, when do I have time to search for a job?

That being said, I did find time to whip up a few applications and I ended up going through a few stages of interviews for a merchandising position at a retail giant based in New York (didn't get it). Now that camp is over, I'm scouring the internet for other companies/organizations I'd like to work for. Thank God for the internet. I mean, back in the golden ages people had to sift through classified ads in the newspaper and type up cover letters and resumes on typewriters and mail them out and wait for a response. Nowadays, just click the "Careers" link at the bottom of every website ever and voila! Job opportunities!

I found that magazines are a huge help if you're looking for some kind of career in fashion. Magazines that chronicle new store openings or the successes of little start-up sites can help pinpoint places that might be hiring that you would not have thought about or considered. I grabbed this month's issue of NYLON, and as it's the denim issue, I think I'll have plenty of companies to contact in the next few days...

In honor of becoming a working girl, here are some muted newsroom vibes for fall:


Photos via tumblr

xox,
Sara

* Totally worth it though, omg can I just say that middle school theater kids are incredible.
** THANK YOU, NETFLIX. JULIETTE & SAWYER 4EVER.

1 comment:

  1. “Thank God for the internet. I mean, back in the golden ages people had to sift through classified ads in the newspaper and type up cover letters and resumes on typewriters…” You’re right. So, there are really less reasons for someone not to have the means to find and get a job, right? However, there can still be distractions, but knowing how to properly use search engines and how to determine which jobs are worth considering can save you time and effort. Anyway, good luck on your search for your first job! :)

    Rupert  Echard

    ReplyDelete